We had an EdCamp large Zoom class this past week – we had a choice of breakout rooms and I chose First Nations Teaching in the Classroom.
I have concerns about how to bring First People’s learning/teaching into a classroom without feeling like I am appropriating or downplaying the importance of the certain aspects of Aboriginal People culture. I am afraid of getting it wrong and getting called out in a seriously negative way. I’m wary because I’ve seen it happen – splashed all over Facebook by an angry parent – it was a full-on public shaming. Did the teacher really think they would have this reaction from a parent – probably not and yet it happened. Did they learn from it – I believe there was a conversation to help clear the air – but could this not have happened BEFORE the public shaming?

Anyway, during and after the presentation I pretty much understand that resources are available and to ask questions and do not be afraid. I would not be trying to teach anything without good faith and if I have reservations about something I can seek support. In a math unit lesson I wanted to add First People’s shapes into a geometry BINGO game – I was worried that it would be an incorrect way to use this information. After bringing it up to a couple of fellow classmates we decided it would not be inappropriate and it has recently been marked and I wasn’t called out there either – but who knows – someone somewhere might have other opinions and this is another reason why I feel it necessary to have better education on how to incorporate it into lesson and unit planning. I think it is coming though in the summer term, so I an looking forward to that.