Photo by Fredrick Tendong on Unsplash

Good lord – I am hopeless with games – unless they are basic word games or block building games, something that takes more than quick reflexes to slay the dragon and save the day. I did not have a gaming console growing up – my dad thought we spent too much time in front of the television with cable and a VCR for movies on the weekends. I also do not have a gaming device in the home now – but I also don’t really need to – both teens have iPhones and the eldest an iPad – I’m lucky to see either of them in the house besides at the dinner table.

They have been into Mindcraft, they have The Sims, my youngest has built amusement parks and rollercoasters. They are currently both playing an anime-based game – Genshin Impact – with each other and their friends (which proves to me they do like each other at times!).

I am sure there is good reason to bring gaming into the classroom – I am just not sure I am the teacher to bring it in, I would not be the teacher anymore – not that I have a control thing – I just do not have an interest in gaming (I’m not good at it, so I have no interest in it). I appreciate delayed gratification. I understand the rewards system of the brain gets big doses of dopamine when people are gaming – I’m not sure this is a good thing to have within a classroom.

We were introduced and there was good reasons behind bringing gaming into the classroom – even my final EdTech Inquiry is based on a online math gaming program – I just have reservations and that is for me to do some reflection and researching to figure out if and how I would bring this type of technology into my classroom.