Ok, I’m waaaaay behind in blogging – and term is coming to a close so I gotta make up for lost time here – I’ll be blogging up a storm today – hang on folks – here I go!

We had special guest – Tracy Humphreys – in class March 12. Tracy supports families with resources for students and families who have special needs and require the use of technology in school.

It was a pretty interesting class, I had witnessed some students in my work and during my Link2Practice term using tech during classes – mainly a AAG (and now I can’t recall or find what this stood for – but it looked like a ‘Speak and Spell’ electronic game but the buttons were changeable with needs and emotions pictures. It helps students and their EA’s communicate.

Resources appear to be fairly costly and showing a need took time and perseverance form teachers, families and support programs. It is a common theme I find with families who have children that need supports – the wait lists are long and by the time supports are provided, sadly some damage has been done. I am not sure how to remedy this other than to throw money and people at the problem and even that is not a guarantee of resolution I’m sure.

One of my take aways was being re-introduced to Shelley Moore. We first met Shelley through our Link2Practice post-class debriefing – she has an awesome blog that might be worth re-visiting – https://blogsomemoore.com/

Another was the simple tool of a ‘boogie board’ – essentially individual white boards for students to use for a multitude of reasons.

There were also resources/support we could look into.

BCANDS – BC Aboriginal Network on Disability Society – http://www.bcands.bc.ca/

and POP – Provincial Outreach Program – or maybe it was POPARD, as there is a website for both acronyms.

I have no doubt that when I have my teacher degree and certification that I will have students in my class that need resources – I am pretty sure I will be checking in with those who help support children in classrooms that need special tools – I only hope I have quick access to those people to help not only me, but the students and families.