I was mildly blown away by this enthusiastic teacher/presenter last week. I appreciated what he brought and shared with the class and I made notes of helpful tips to hopefully utilize once I am in a teacher position. The values I want to foster closely aligned with what he was presenting – I want to create relationships with the students to build the trust, respect, and communication. When you know your class, both individually and as a whole, you will learn how to teach them. I also made a note that I need to ‘unpack’ my own educational experience as that will influence my skills – something I did not really consider before I don’t think. I joke that I have repressed much of my educational memories – I recall more of how I felt in school and experienced – not so much what I learned or how I learned it.

I will need to do some diving into inquiry-based learning as that is not how I learned and is a new and interesting method for me. I can see how it is beneficial, yet I can imagine that it can go sideways with either students not doing the work or not knowing how to do the work (too much freedom). My own teachers had a pretty rigid style about them, so there is something I will need to consider about my past and how/if I will bring that to the classroom. Much to consider before prepping for practicum and building unit/lesson plans.